“Verily I say unto you, ‘Go it alone.’”
Too many people these days seem to act as though following Christ leads down a path narrow enough for only one set of footprints. They view faith as a private, personal matter, focusing on spiritual disciplines like prayer, Bible reading, and reflection as something to be done in isolation.
But Jesus never said that. In fact, Jesus’ ministry was consistently grounded in interaction and cooperation with other people. “Love God and love others” was Jesus’ most important message, and one cannot be done without the other.
While a relationship with Jesus may indeed be personal and intimate, Christianity was never meant to be a solo endeavor. Following Jesus is a communal journey, where people work together to be faithful, to serve others, to worship God, and to share the good news.
Finding Faithful Online Communities
While meeting face to face is the best way to join others in your faith journey, it’s not always possible, especially in pandemic times like this. COVID has forced us to use — and get used to — online video conversations, and they’ve now become part of our new normal. Like it or not, gathering in groups online is here to stay.
But how do you find the right online group to join? We know how toxic the internet can be, and it’s all too easy to get lost down an unholy rabbit hole in discussion threads. Add the uncertainty of anonymity and the risks of being vulnerable to strangers, and you can quickly find yourself getting the opposite of love and support.
The Benefits of Online Discussion Groups
When looking for an online Christian community, you’ll want to make sure you join a group of people who genuinely care about each other and have created a positive space where everyone feels safe and comfortable.
The advantages of joining an online community are worth the effort:
- You can make new friends. In the right groups, these are often real friendships that can last a lifetime.
- You can ask hard questions. We all have questions about our faith, God, and the world around us, and we need a safe place to seek answers.
- You’ll learn new things. Discovering truth and gaining revelation about God often happens when we listen to and hear what other people have learned.
- You’ll get real opportunities to put your faith in action. Virtues such as compassion, empathy, and service are impossible to practice alone, but can come alive even on online discussion groups.
- You can bless others. Often the best benefit of online forums isn’t what we get out of them, but what we give to others, which in turn is a blessing to us since it’s what we were created to do.
Finding the Right Online Discussion Group
There are virtually countless groups you can join online. How do you know which one(s) is right for you? Keep these filters in mind when looking for a wholesome online community:
- Are there rules in place to keep everyone safe? Any discussion group worth joining will have a set of guidelines designed to protect its members from abuse.
- Do people treat each other with grace and respect? Even when tough, controversial topics are discussed, healthy online groups keep conversations constructive and civil.
- Do the conversations honor God? It’s easy to tell the difference between groups that seek to uplift one another and those that … well, don’t.
- Does the group have regular meeting times? While it can be enjoyable and valuable to join conversations 24/7, it’s also highly beneficial to have dependable moments when you can count on each other to join together.
- Does the community have a specific purpose? Free-for-all discussions can be fun, but having the discipline and foresight to offer and receive insight on specific topics or objectives will keep the group focused and motivated.
The “Faith Your Fear” Forum
True View Ministry’s online forum does all this and more. “Faith Your Fear” is a safe place for you to be a part of lively, positive, encouraging discussions that will help you apply God’s Word to your life. Every week our group discusses a specific Bible passage or concept and has in-depth conversations that intersect God’s Word, everyday life experiences, and help participants learn how to live faithfully so they won’t succumb to their fears.
The “Faith Your Fear” Forum is a great opportunity for you to fellowship with other believers who’ll come alongside you to arm you with God’s Word– as well as give you their loving support– so you’ll be better able to face life’s challenges with truth, encouragement, and joy. You’ll be comforted and emboldened to know that you’re never alone in your faith journey; you’ll realize you not only have God with you every step of the way, but also fellow warriors who ‘have your back’, bringing you additional courage, peace, and joy.
We meet for one hour via Zoom every Thursday at 8:00 p.m. (EST). You’ll be connected with other people like you who desire a closer relationship with God, and also desire fellowshp with others who want to pursue a deeper relationship with Him. Our hope is that you’ll join us on Thursdays whenever your schedule allows for our God-centered conversations that will spur you on to live fearlessly and boldly so you’ll be able to do the works God created you to do for His glory.
Join Our Conversation!
Be a part of True View’s weekly “Faith Your Fear” Forum for relational, relevant conversations with other people of faith.