The Word of God is full of truth and life-giving wisdom that can calm our fearful minds and hearts. We live in an ever-changing world that can lead us to live a fearful and worrisome life, so it’s vital that we remember God is the One in control (Psalm 23:1-6) and that we can trust that He is with us and will lead us through these times.
God knows our nature and our thoughts, so He has given us many verses about fear throughout the Bible. When we put our trust in Jesus, He will lead us, calm our hearts and minds, and free us from fear and worry.
10 Bible Verses About Fear and Overcoming Your Fear by trusting in God
God promises to speak to us and lead us in all areas of our lives (John 10:27-28), including when we struggle to overcome fearful situations. He doesn’t just tell us once to trust in Him, but all throughout the Bible, He reminds us to ‘fear not’ and to place our trust in Him, relying upon Him to guide us through every circumstance we may face.
Take your time reading the different Bible verses below about fear. As you do, ask God to help you overcome your every fear by trusting in His faithful Word and unfailing love.
- “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10 (ESV)
- “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, ‘Fear not, I am the first and the last.'” – Revelation 1:17 (ESV)
- “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” – Psalm 34:4 (ESV)
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” – John 14:27 (ESV)
- “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.” – 1 John 4:18 (ESV)
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9 (ESV)
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6 (ESV)
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” – Psalm 27:1 (ESV)
- “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” – 2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV)
3 Ways God Can Help You to Handle Fear
No matter how strong our faith is, we all can experience moments and times of fear. However, by trusting in our Heavenly Father, we can overcome those moments of doubt and fear. If you find yourself experiencing fear, take your thoughts captive by focusing your thoughts upon Jesus and His Word.
1. Learn More about God
When you spend more time getting to know God and His Word, your relationship with Him and your love for and trust in Him will grow. As you learn more about God by reading the Bible–His love letter to people–you will come to know His excellent character, the depth of His love for you, and His magnificent mind, all of which will increase your ability to put your trust in Him and help to allay your fears.
You can get to know God better by spending more time with Him through:
- Reading the Bible
- Reading God-inspired resources
- Listening to God-inspired songs, sermons, podcasts, etc.
2. Put Your Trust in God
Our God is a Loving God who is always in control. During these ever-changing, especially challenging times in which we live, you may be experiencing greater fear, doubt, and uncertainty than you have in the past. However, be assured that nothing has caught God by surprise! If you call out to Him and ask for His help and are willing to put your trust in Him, He will lead you away from your fearful, often paralyzing thoughts and give you guidance and wisdom to move forward.
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:5-6 (ESV)
3. Pray to God
Praying to God is a great and vital way to strengthen your relationship with Him. As with any relationship, communication between us and God is critical. Prayer is an important way we communicate our love for God, our dependence upon Him, and make our desires known to Him. Prayers of adoration will keep your focus upon God and His great power in the midst of your circumstances that can seem overwhelming. Prayers of praise for His past faithfulness to meet your every need can increase your faith that He will be with you in your current situation and continue to meet your future needs as well. Prayers of supplication for yourself and others will allow you to pour your heart out and know that your desires are known to God, Who alone can meet your and others’ every need!
Below are some ideas on prayers if you’re not sure where to start.
- Pray by worshipping Him for His character attributes– such as His past faithfulness, His goodness, His mercy, His kindness, His lavish love– and thank Him for all the blessings He has given to you, such as His provision for your basic needs, the beauty of His creation, and the people He has placed in your life.
- Pray for family members, friends, or any individual (who God places on your heart) that God will lead them and help them in their lives.
- Pray for God to strengthen your faith in Him, especially during fearful times in your life.
- Pray for the salvation of those who don’t yet know Jesus, that they will come to know Him and realize the abundant and eternal life that is found in Him alone (John 3:16).
- Pray for wisdom for our world, national, state, and local government and business leaders. Pray for them to gain a heart of wisdom and to ask God to lead them in all their decisions (Psalm 90:12).
Place Your Fear on Him
It’s not always easy to let go and put your total trust in God and His wisdom and love, but when you are willing to give God full control of your life, you’ll find that you can truly be set free of fear and worry in your life. Learn more about True View Ministries and how you can have a relationship with Jesus.